Thursday 30 September 2021

The New Normal

 Yes there has been copious amounts of water pass under the bridge since then (my last post upon moving back to NZ from the UK) and now. Life as we knew it has been tilted at an odd and unexpected angle and we can do nothing except embrace the New Normal in our everyday lives.

Our 5-year-plan seems to have completely flown out the window... we're really not sure when or even if it will return.  BUT in the meantime we are actually quite happily embracing what is now our New Normal.

And that is living in paradise and homeschooling our boys.

WHAAAAAAAAAT?!?!?!!! 

Never did I ever think I would be a homeschooling mamma! I mean, aren't they all weird families from crazy-as religious sects with 12 children wearing tie-dyed clothes, using homemade hygiene products and the mum doesn't shave her armpits? Yeah I know right?!

Well that incredibly naΓ―ve and Judgey McJudgeyson understanding is (mostly) misguided and untrue (apart from the homeschooling families that are weird and from crazy-as religious sects with 12 children wearing tie-dyed clothes, using homemade hygiene products and the mum doesn't shave her armpits...).  Since moving back to Mangakino from Dunedin at the beginning of 2020, I have been introduced to homeschooling families who are actually very normal and FUN!  *can I hear a WHOOP WHOOP*

It all happened very organically - we were originally doing Te Kura (NZ Correspondence School) which is all on-line learning, but our internet at the time was crap and the boys actually wanted to learn using real workbooks (!). They said it was too easy to just go on YouTube or Netflix instead of finishing what they were learning about. That's so honest of them to say that huh? Proud Mamma moment. So it was a natural progression to then apply to the Ministry of Education to be allowed to school our kids from home. What I presented to them in my applications was obviously amazing and we are now officially homeschoolers (eek!). A scary and daunting task, but also incredibly exciting and rewarding.  

And frustrating and exhausting...

I have absolutely shocked myself by actually enjoying doing learning from home. Maybe because I'm also learning SO MUCH at the same time? But it's seriously very cool indeed.







These photos were from our day yesterday - Maths, Art, Latin, spelling, writing all done individually/one-on-one and at their own pace.  For History we always sit down with a hot drink and we read and discuss it together. This is my favourite learning to do with them. Although I do need to keep reminding Beni to only beat-box or sing inside his head while we're reading....

I am enjoying recognising the boys' individual learning styles and working alongside them in the way they learn best.  Luca needs structure and a timetable and plan.  Beni also likes a timetable and for things to be kept in folders (CUTE! And so like his Mamma).  And Massi...... well... Massi is pretty much a free spirit with amazing hair.

My aim is to use this platform to keep regular updates on what we are doing mostly for my benefit.  You know, so I can look back in a year's time and say "Oh yeah, my boy did learn something!" haha (kind of jokes...) and also cos I've realised how totally awesome it is to look back on my previous blog posts and treasure these precious times I have with my precious not-so-wee-anymore guys.

So readers and friends, feel free to join me on the journey when you can and (nice) comments when you want to.

Continue to stay safe and love upon your family and friends every moment you get xx

~~~

6 comments:

  1. Wahhoooo you are blogging again. This brings me so much joy!!! I loved waiting in eager anticipation for your writing these in London and now I can do the same again. I am cheering you in from here you amazing talented awesome home schooling mamma. Sending loads of hugs and kisses to those beautiful not so little boys. Love sezzy ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I KNEE you’d love it that I’m blogging again!! πŸ₯° You know they’re written mostly for you aye ( of course) 😘😎 Ooooo gosh love and miss you SO MUCH sweet one. And THANKS for leaving a comment! 🌟 xxxx

      Delete
  2. Love it Brigitte. Keep blogging

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mamma here - so love your enthusiasm and commitment to your gorgeous boys. Love doing life alongside you all. And ... looking forward to your next blog post 😁❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. And ... it appears that I am 'annonymous' 😌 you'll have to show me how to change that xxx

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment X

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...