Wednesday 13 January 2010

God Bless my slow cooker

Mum did say that having a slow cooker would be my saving grace for meal times, and she is so right! (again)

There is nothing like throwing a bunch of ingredients in the pot, turning it on and leaving it - then 8 hours later Buon Appetito!

I also LOVE the way the smell permeates through the house for the day as it cooks - makes one feel very domesticated oh yes it does!



Today I did just that with some frozen chicken pieces and the one-pot-wonder was such a hit with the crew that I thought I should really share the goodness. So here you go.

Creole Chicken

6 chicken portions
1 packet of pancetta (can
2 cans tinned tomatos
1 onion (diced)
2 green bell peppers (cut into slivers)
a good squirt of tomato paste
salt & pepper
4 good shakes of cayene pepper
6 sausages (sliced) - preferably ones with a spicy/hot flavour to add more taste
1 cup basmati/white long grain rice

1. Put everything except sausages & rice into the slow cooker and cook on low for approx 4 hours.

2. Add sliced sausages to ingredients - give gentle stir then leave for another 1-2 hours on low.

3. Add rice and stir well ensuring all rice is covered under liquid. Leave on low heat for another 30 minutes or until rice is cooked well.
If you can be bothered, would be a good idea to remove chicken pieces and take out all bones.  The meat will literally fall off the bones.  Place shredded chicken back in pot with other ingredients.

The rice will soak up all the liquid as it cooks and swells so it is a good idea to give it a stir a couple of times during cooking process.

Serve with a nice glass of red wine. YUMMY!

3 comments:

  1. I find that my slow cooker is a GODSEND especially during the winter months! I also love coming home and being able to smell dinner before I even walk through the door!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Stella! Yeah, there's nothing quite like knowing dinner's waiting for you when you get home! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment X

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...