Friday 22 March 2013

life with boys: it's quite a ride

(Beni fell over, got a cut on his lip and wanted a plaster...)

This is quite a ride - this life of ours raising three boys.

There is never a dull moment. And I know from experience that even if I try to create a dull moment (i.e. a moment in time for myself) they will end up smearing poo on the carpet or on their toys while I'm otherwise occupied. Or why not on the carpet and then driving their toys through it? Yeah that wasn't a dull moment.

After my little falling down the stairs incident last night which has left me with a rather painful back and leg ache, I ended up having to run for the bus this morning (yes husband, I paid for the bus to take me two stops...). Trying to get three boys wrapped up in jackets, scarves, hats, gloves and shoes is painful enough and there was no way I was going to miss the bus which would make us even later for school.
So I got on the bus wielding a buggy with two hefty boys, already feeling rather hot, flustered and in pain. Then Beni decided he wanted to get out of the buggy, ending up nearly upending it which made me drop my purse (which was open because I was putting away my bus pass) and so of course all my coins fell out onto the bus floor, rolling under all the seats. I hadn't managed to put the brakes on the buggy yet and so when the bus started to move, the buggy also made a sudden move backwards into me, sending me and my arse backwards into the lap of a man sitting in one of the seats in the buggy area of the bus. Awesome. Really awesome that was.
Oh yes of course everyone's eyes were on me to see how I would handle all of this, and although there were f-bombs going off everywhere inside my head no such profanities passed my lips and I handled the situation with complete (frazzled) control.
Fortunately once I had picked up all the coins I could find from the floor it was time to get off the bus so I didn't have to make eye-contact with anyone. They were probably too scared to anyway...

I have been reading the book I Just Want To Pee Alone which is "a collection of hilarious essays from 37 of the most kick ass mom bloggers on the web" and I must say it really is doing the trick and helping me feel quite normal - the fact that I'm not the only mamma who deals seemingly constantly with poo, snot, dirt and noise from rather raucous boys is like a soothing balm to my soul.

But I also need to mention the wonderful cuddles and affection they dish out. The laughter and fun we have, their hilarious fun-loving personalities and individual dancing styles (these boys can pull out some moves!). 
The cuteness factor is at an all-time high when they run through the house naked after having their baths. I can assure you their bottoms get LOTS of pinches as they turn and run away, making them squeal even more.
No wonder our neighbours moved out.
That's another story in itself really... okay I'll tell you.
All you need to know is that they have come over and complained numerous times about the level of noise and screaming that filters through the walls to their house (gotta love these English attached houses with thin walls) and even threatened to call Social Services. Nice people that they are.
Anyway, they've obviously had enough and moved out last weekend. (sniggers behind her hand)

Scoreboard: 

I'm grudgingly accepting the fact my house will hardly ever be tidy, so don't expect a house tour post on here any time soon. Give me about 10 years for that. Or 3 days without children around to 'mess things up' again.

I don't think I'll ever get over not having a full night's sleep or sleep-ins.

I know that once I don't have to deal with poo anymore I will feel like a new woman and there will be much champagne. Oh yes.

I look forward to being able to fold the washing, turn my back on it for 5 minutes and have the folded piles in the same place they were, not scattered all over the floor with little bodies hiding under them playing 'Houses'. A house of bras, undies and socks is not a very stable one anyway. A bit draughty.

I look forward to being able to kiss a little finger better without wondering where it's been...

What the neighbours never saw was the massive amounts of love and laughter that reside in our house.
I could literally love these boys to pieces, even when I get yelled at, called a 'meanie' and that I'm not their friend anymore.

This is my life with boys. And yes, it is quite a ride, but I'm not regretting it one bit.

:::

12 comments:

  1. My two-pence wort:

    ...wort? worth:

    Bus ride - that guy should have given up his seat for you as soon as the buggy entered the 'buggy area'. A lap was bound to be sat on.

    Neighbours - three times they complained. And they were used to quiet professionals who didn't know each other and passed like ships in the night, so I think anything other than three strangers sharing a house would be considered loud. Although, granted, we are generally loud, but not outside of 'noise hours'. And their fire alarm went off several times and we hardly heard it. Sigh. Anyway, now I won't have any more anxious dreams about them being grumpy at us - I didn't tell you about that huh, sad but true (I hate conflict).

    Washing - I vote we fold and put washing away at night time when the boys are asleep. Go team!

    Lastly - your boys are delicious, bursting with character and I wouldn't want them any other way. And you are the perfect mamma for them.

    Lastly lastly - I have a bottle of wine ready for Friday Night Pizza Night.

    *curtsy*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HO-FLIPPIN-RAY!! (to the bottle of wine). So ready for that! X

      Delete
  2. I love the fact that you paint your life with words. ALL of your life. Its so refreshing and continues to make me feel normal and reassured that I am not the only one in the world with a crazy house. I love you XXX
    Ps Yah for wine!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually thinking of you Sharni as I was writing this! Knowing you'd be sure to understand ;)
      Yeah, TOTALLY yay for wine! haha X

      Delete
  3. my neighbours moved out recently too!

    a lovable read as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahaaa nice work on your neighbours! Funny ;)) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous photos. I love the plaster-tache!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were cracking up about the plaster-tache 'cos he looked so much like his Pop (who has a REAL 'tache) :)
      Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment! X

      Delete
  6. Love how you tell it like it is...poop and all! I did have laugh at your bus story - especially the bit where you ended up in the guy's lap....and that's an awful lot of cars you have in your lap in that there picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately the guy was a grumpy old guy, hence the reason he didn't get out of the seat once I arrived in the 'buggy' area.
      I mean, if it was Brad Pitt or MY HUSBAND I would've stayed in his lap a bit longer! ;)

      Delete
  7. I love the snippets of real life you share, Brigitte... I grew up with three younger brothers so I can relate on many levels, I also have a little boy now and can look forward to the adventure and bravado boys bring to a household. Oh what fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Clare! Oooooo you are in for a TREAT with your little guy :) I can't comment on what it's like raising girls, but boys are HILARIOUS and FULL OF LIFE! Definitely worth every grey hair ;) x

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment X

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...