Friday 16 December 2011

Spiced Hot Chocolate: great gift idea


Today is Luca's final day of school for the year and he took a bunch of these jars of spiced hot chocolate mixture for his teachers (he has five. Go figure.)

I felt pretty chuffed with myself for putting these together - though time-consuming they are definitely a great handmade gift idea that didn't cost us anything. £2 maybe for the chocolate and mini-marshmallows but that's it.

I'm certainly discovering that doing a 'hand-made Christmas' is a time-consuming option, but definitely the best option for us with no spare cashola...
And yet not the best option when I have very little time on my hands for crafting...
Maybe next year I'll be more on-to-it.

But I did manage to get these teacher gifts done {after taste-testing them myself and perfecting the recipe. The sacrifice was enormous...}

This is how it goes if you are daring to indulge!

Ingredients
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
1/2 Tablespoon flour
pinch salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
6 Mini marshmallows
1 Tablespoon White and dark chocolate chips (or pieces chopped into chunks)

Assembly Method
1. In a small preserving jar (I used empty jam jars I hold onto for preserving...not that I do a lot of preserving...!) pour half the amount of sugar and shake down so it settles firmly in the bottom of the jar.
2. Sift half the amount of cocoa on top of the sugar and pack down firmly.
3. Combine flour and salt in a bowl and sift half this amount on top of cocoa. Shake down to settle.
4. Sift cinnamon and cloves on top of flour.
5. Sift rest of flour and salt mixture and then last portion of cocoa.
6. Pour last portion of sugar on top and shake jar to settle and pack down so contents will not move in the jar.
7. Place marshmallows and chocolate bits in separate plastic bags and place them carefully on top of the spiced hot chocolate mixture then seal the lid. {I used plastic freezer bags which I cut up and wrapped the chocolate and marshmallows in, sealing firmly with tape}.


On the gift tag is where you attach the instructions for preparing the hot chocolate:

Preparation Method
1. Pour contents into a bowl and mix.
2. In a small saucepan bring 1/4 cup of water to the boil.
3. Stir in contents from the bowl and add chocolate pieces also.
4. Continue stirring for 1-2 minutes or until cocoa is warm and smooth.
5. Add 2 cups of milk to the cocoa mixture and heat again to required drinking temperature.
6. In 2 mugs, add 6 marshmallows to each mug and pour hot chocolate over the top.
7. Sit back, relax, enjoy your Spiced Hot Chocolate and have a Merry Christmas!

:::

Another option is to leave out the spices and add crushed candy canes in their place.
The spices makes it very 'Christmassy' tasting but the candy canes would look cool visually in the jar.

Let me know if you give this a try and any alterations to the recipe you made.
I know you'll love it :)


7 comments:

  1. That's brilliant! I love how you've packaged it all too. I'm also planning presents in jars this year...I think they're cool! I have brownie (mix) in a jar on the list. I saw another cool idea for teachers the other day that would be even less time consuming (but would cost a little more I guess)...getting a Starbucks giftcard and putting it in a takeaway Christmas Starbucks cup with a nice ribbon around it. Actually, it's here... http://andersonfamilycrew.blogspot.com/2011/12/teacher-gifts-and-christmas-traditions.html
    Enjoy your wintery Christmas over there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. KEEEEEE-YUTE Brigitte! What a BRILLIANT idea. It almost looks too pretty to drink. I'd probably keep it forever to look at. But I'm one of those weirdos who doesn't like hot chocolate. Maybe I was the milkman's daughter after all... Imagine if Dad got given this as a gift - he'd treasure it forever and make it last a WHOLE YEAR or more. Whereas if this was in my flat, it would vanish in an evening. Could you do this with coffee? Or TEA? A 'erbal or chai one? Yummmmm...

    (oh, and this crafty thing is BLIMMIN time consuming. And I don't even have kids. *sigh* I've finished mum's present. Only twelve to go... Bother. Sorry NZ family. But the presents will look GREAT when you get them!...ahem...)

    Ding dong merrily on hiiiiiigh! (getting really excited now!!!) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds so good!! I know I will be coming back to this post over the next few days, I just need to find some smaller jars. I love how you have packaged it!! I know what you mean about time consuming. I'm on holiday for a few weeks and I thought I would be able to have a crafty couple of weeks making Christmas gifts, but that hasn't happened with the little man being so full on during the day and me being too buggered to do it once he's gone to bed, awesome idea! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness Miss Brigitte! I am soooooo going to make this. I can't say that it will get very far out the door though but I will do my best!
    Love it
    Sharni

    ps your Christmas tree looks CuuTe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic idea! Will totally steal it (HA!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey beautiful lady! what a cool idea the spicy chocy mix is! Love it, you are so clever! Have a wonderful Chrissy time, loads of love from wee ole nz where the sun seems to be finally shining. love your christmas tree in the last post too, fabulous decos, love love love to you!! xx

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please leave a comment X

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...